Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Progress Report

In case anyone is interested in the weight loss project, this is a brief update.

Things have slowed to a crawl. Every ounce is hanging on for dear life, but I've accepted that as long as the scale isn't going up, that's OK.

The things that are probably hampering my progress are events that are very hard to control.

First and foremost, I've gotten very busy lately. That means lots of travel, which also means the routine goes out the window. Not that I'm being "bad" on the road; actually, I'm generally pretty consistently making good food choices. But travel means changes to the mealtime schedules, eating at restarants most of the time, and simply being unable to get those fruits & vegetables that help me stay on track.

One client I've been working with treats me to lunch every day. And they like things like pizza and sub sandwiches and the like. One day for lunch we went to a pizza joint where basically I had to order a pizza or go hungry. So I got the thin crust personal pizza, and was so ravenous I ate the whole thing. I'm guessing that wasn't good for the weight-loss project.

Then there's eating at restaurants in general. I order the entrees that I should order, like the grilled chicken or the salad, etc. But the portion sizes are very large, and it's difficult to know when I've had enough. I try to always leave some on the plate, but still have a feeling that even though I've made good food choices, the volume isn't helping.

Otherwise, when I'm home, my routine is unchanged in the last 6 months. My meals are pretty consistent. And I know my caloric intake is pretty consistently in the 1600-1800 range.

Theoretically that should mean I continue to drop pounds. But being very busy with work lately has meant I get very little of the physical exercise I had been doing previously. Because many days are 10, 12, even 14 hour workdays. I have to admit that with that schedule, finding an hour to exercise becomes a pretty low priority.

I'm not too worried. All I need to do is watch the intake at restaurants, find ways to offset the distruptions caused by travel days, and force myself to find that hour 3 or 4 times a week to work up a sweat.

After all, I'm in a marathon, not a sprint. And the finish line isn't really the end of the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home