Monday, March 23, 2009

More on Weight Loss Experience

Just in case anybody's wondering how things are going with my little weight-loss adventure, here's an update.

I've been stuck at the same weight for about a month now. It's been somewhat discouraging, but I feel a bit better about it after visiting the doctor for a checkup. He not only raved about how much weight I've been able to lose since starting this little project (25 lbs since my last visit, between 35-40 total), but told me it's quite common to hit plateaus along the way.

If I keep watching the calories and exercising, the weight will continue to come off. Unfortunately, it's not likely to come off as fast as it did initially. I can't count on losing 10 or 15 pounds per month, but should reset my expectations to maybe dropping about 5 per month.

That's kind of hard to accept, but if I continue to keep the attitude that this isn't a short-term "diet", but a permanent lifestyle change, the weight will come off eventually. Patience is key.

The sugar cravings are much less intense. I still think about my favorite treat (ice cream) from time to time, but have been able to steer clear so far.

I still struggle somewhat with another favorite, pizza. It's hard to avoid completely, and I have stumbled on a couple of occasions where pizza was served in social situations. I had to have one. And I wasn't sorry.

So the biggest enemies to keeping on track these days are down to these:

1. Hunger. When I get hungry, watch out! It's often unavoidable, but it's far more difficult to stop myself from eating stuff I shouldn't or stuffing myself if I'm ravenous. Such times really test my will.
2. Boredom. It's tough on weekends when I'm home all day with nothing in particular to do. It takes real focus to stop from walking into the kitchen in search of something on which to graze. Cheese & crackers are a particular problem there.
3. Social situations. I have to be careful in social settings, especially where pizza is being served. However, this category is less dangerous to me than the first two.

So my original hope of reaching my ideal weight in a year looks like it may not be possible. But as long as I keep moving in the right direction, I think I can stay patient.

We shall see how the next 3 months go. I plan to stay "on the wagon".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home